Sunday, February 22, 2009

What Was I Thinking!!!

I've owned a Soundbridge M500 for the last few years and used it to stream content from my computer to my stereo. Think Rhapsody, iTunes, etc. Well, the other day it died and went to Soundbridge heaven, which led me to research what would be the best replacement. I finally decided to take the plunge and order a Squeezebox Classic. Those of you who know me know that I don't take these steps lightly! Well folks, it is one of the best decisions I've ever made. What was I thinking in not getting this device before!?

If you're looking to stream music to your sound system from a subscription service or from your computer (iTunes), the Squeezebox Classic is awesome. The first advantage is that it is totally controlled from a variety of sources. You can use the remote that comes with the Classic, you can use your computer or you can use your iPhone. The Classic doesn't use Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) to stream Rhapsody, it is a receiver itself and has wireless built in. Once it is set up, it logs into Rhapsody itself. You can control what it streams to your sound system from any of the devices I mentioned above. The second major advantage is that the free software supplied by Logitech, who now owns Squeezebox, allows you to do whatever you need from a web browser on your computer, and it is works like a champ.

Rather than my going on and on about this device, I would urge you to go to the Squeezebox site to read what this thing can do. The only choice you have is whether to buy the Classic or the Duet. Every day I own it I am blown away by what it can do. I am absolutely going to get another one so I can control music separately in another room.

So for the third time, what was I thinking by not doing this before!!

1 comment:

Craig said...

When you're really ready for a professional music system for streaming and your library, check out SONOS. While I've not had a Squeezebox, I have had two Soundbridges, and was never fully satisfied. Yes, SONOS is a bit expensive, but it's totally worth it.